A dental bridge uses a porcelain crown to close the gap in between teeth. We attach the teeth bridge to the adjacent teeth, either on one side or both sides of a dental crown.
What is the purpose of teeth bridge?
- Enhance your smile and appearance. If there is a gap in your teeth, the dental bridge will close the space.
- Improve your speech. If there are spaces or gaps in your mouth, your speech may not be optimal as you may lose sound through space.
- Improve your chewing function. The porcelain unit will replace the missing tooth and close the space in your mouth. This will make chewing much more pleasant and comfortable.
- Prevent teeth movement. If there is space between your teeth, the adjacent tooth can tilt or drift. This will create spaces between the other teeth, and food can get caught in the areas. This may lead to decay or gum related problems and recession.
Types of dental bridges
1. Resin: A tooth coloured crown is made using white filling material. We cement the crown onto the adjacent tooth. This is a cheap option, but the tooth coloured crown may become stained and may chip or break. Therefore this will need ongoing maintenance and generally requires frequent polishing and repairs.
2. Maryland: dentists use porcelain or zirconia to make this crown. This is stronger than the resin option. Sometimes porcelain is fused to the metal crowns to make it stronger.
3. Cantilever: This type is generally used to close the space in front teeth.
How are teeth bridges made?
We perform a thorough dental check-up and clean your teeth to remove tartar or calculus. We take impressions to make a model of your mouth.
In your next visit, the dentist shaves the adjacent tooth on either side of the gap. This will help guide the porcelain crown to sit in the space. After the preparation, we take final impressions, and the lab will make the final unit.
We may place a temporary crown on the prepared tooth and make a temporary bridge. We’ll later remove the temporary unit and glue the final one to the adjacent tooth.
What aftercare will the dental bridge need?
You’ll need to brush and floss. It is essential to brush and floss under the dental bridge. Our dentist Bendigo will show you how to floss this area thoroughly.